Domestic Violence is about one person using their power to control another person.
Consider These Statistics.
Every 9 seconds a woman is beaten…
- More women are injured by domestic violence than are injured in auto accidents, muggings or rapes, combined.
- 40% of female homicides occur as a result of domestic violence.
- 57% of all homeless women and children are victims of domestic violence.
- 60% of battered women report that their first abusive relationship began in high school.
- 36% of high school relationships involve some type of violence.
- One in five teenage girls report to have suffered physical and/or sexual violence at the hands of a dating partner.
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime
- An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Historically, females have been most often victimized by someone they knew.
- Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.
- Domestic violence is one of the most chronically underreported crimes. Only approximately one-quarter of all physical assaults, one-fifth of all rapes, and one-half of all stalking is perpetuated against females by intimate partners are reported to the police.
- Almost one-third of female homicide victims that are reported in police records are killed by an intimate partner.
- In 70-80% of intimate partner homicides, no matter which partner was killed, the man physically abused the woman before the murder.
- Less than one-fifth of victims reporting an injury from intimate partner violence sought medical treatment following the injury.
- Intimate partner violence results in more than 18.5 million mental health care visits each year.